Friday, January 4, 2013

The MILF Project Redux Status Report

So MILF, you may recall, I redefined as "Muscle Isn't Like Fat" back in July, when all was new and hopeful and I'd just started working out with a trainer and had not yet attempted a middle-aged cartwheel.... The MILF Project is my ongoing attempt to lose the baby and reproductive endocrinology weight. (Of course, the American Pie definition of the acronym might also be apt, but this is a PG-13 operation.)

I'm on Day 5 of my New Years Eve Eve Resolution and I thought it might be helpful to my progress if I did occasional status reports of my successes, failures and general progress. Keeps me accountable to make an occasional public confession.

So exercise-wise, I've done pretty well: I've done 30 minutes on the stationary bike and 15 minutes of weights and abs Monday through Thursday of this week. My goal was five days of at least 30 minutes of exercise a week, so I'm on my way to making that happen.

Sleep: check. We've been getting to bed before 10:30 every night this week. (Heck, last night, we were in bed just after 9!) Some nights, we read or play Words With Friends past 10:30 (totally old married coupledom), but at least we're in bed and can just lay the iPad down and go to sleep when we start getting drowsy.

Now, the food thing...yes, there have been downfalls...chicken fried steak, ice cream, a few other sweets, champagne...a beer (with lemon, yum!).... But I'm doing better making generally healthier choices. And I've also been eating less meat. I have flirted with vegetarianism at many times during my life, mainly because if I think about what the meat used to be, it makes me sad. (Except for fish and shellfish...they're just not cuddly enough to draw my sympathy. Sorry, tunas, clams and lobsters of the world!) Plus, any observation of what goes on in the meat industry is enough to turn anyone's stomach. I probably will never be completely meatless, but I would like my diet to be "meat less." And I feel good (physically, but ethically too) this week having consumed less flesh than last week.

So the net result so far: I've lost 4 pounds! I know it's "water weight," but weight is weight and, heck!, that means I'm 40% of the way to my first pedicure! Woo hoo! Happy weekend, friends!