Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Simple Sew Together Fleece Baby Blanket

I made a blanket for my nephew-to-be for Christmas. (Thus, I have waited until after Christmas to do this post so as not to ruin the surprise.) I have made a lot of those tie-together fleece blankets in my day, and they look great! But I end up getting blisters on my fingers from tying all those knots, and they seem to take forever.

So I decided to try my hand at sewing a fleece blanket instead. This one you see below (my nephew's) is actually the second one I've sewn, the first one being for my son. I find that the blanket comes together in about two hours and looks quite neat.  It's nothing but simple straight stitching and turning right-angle corners, which is right up my novice seamstress street.

So, here we go!

Step One: Buy two pieces of fleece. You can get whatever size you want for your blanket, but I get two yards of 60 inch fleece. This makes a nice sized blanket big enough to make a pallet on the floor, and it will still be a good size for a bigger kid to cuddle in later on. I chose a pattern and a solid color for my fleece.

Step Two: Cut off the selvedge edge from each piece.


Step Three: Pin the two pieces together with the "right" sides together.




Step Four: Sew the two pieces together, leaving a six to eight inch opening in the seam.


Step Five: Clip squares out of the corners. Be sure not to cut too close to (or through) your seam.



Step Six: Turn your blanket inside out. Be sure to push your corners out so that they're clean and "pointy."

Step Seven: Turn the edges of your opening in and begin sewing around the blanket on the outside, leaving about an inch of an edge. This does two things. It closes the hole where you turned the blanked inside out, and it creates an instant trim edge.






That's it! You're done! Happy sewing and happy new year!