Monday, March 30, 2020

The COVID-Telework Diary: Day 15, Beginning of the Third Week


Well, Week 3.  How are we all doing?  What can we say?  I hope you're doing okay.

We've had technical difficulties on all three fronts:  my work, husband's work, kid's school.  Some of them are being worked out, some of them are ongoing.  We will muddle through.  We have to.

The good news for us is that, after 14+ days in isolation, none of us are displaying symptoms.  Well, not consistently, anyway.  On the weekend, for instance, I had a dry cough and I didn't feel quite right.  The pollen count was through the roof over the weekend.  Still, I checked my temperature a couple of times.  "Is 98.8 the sort of low grade fever they're talking about?"  Fortunately, I did not continue to register even a minuscule fever.  And, after taking three different types of OTC allergy medication (Allegra, Zyrtec, and Flonase), I felt much better.

We have several friends on the front line of this war against an invisible enemy:  doctors, nurses, other medical professionals.  I worry about them all, and their families.

We have a friend who works in the oil and gas industry who still has to go to work so that there's still fuel for the country.  I worry about him and his family too.

My fellow bankruptcy lawyers are bracing for the flood of both individual and business bankruptcies that will inevitably follow this crisis.  It will be sad and it will be hard . . . like after 9/11, but more cases across the country.

Also, how many desserts is it okay to have after lunch and/or dinner?  Three?  Is three the right number?  I think it is.  I think any number is the right number when you're under extreme and prolonged stressed.  Go get another cookie.

This afternoon, I had a telephonic hearing and, despite there being a sign on the door not to enter,



The Boy came running in with a Lego problem.  Thank goodness that the phone was on mute.  Signs, apparently, are ineffective in the face of an issue with your Lego man's arm.

Hang in there, friends, I think we've got several more weeks of this ride to go.