Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What I did during the Government Shutdown, Days 1 and 2

Day One, Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Disclaimer:  The thoughts and feelings expressed in this post are solely the author's and do not represent the official position of any government agency.

Got up. Showered.

Dressed in black pantsuit.

Got boy dressed and into husband's car to go to school.

Went to work. For free, unless Congress decides to pay me retroactively. 

Fretted that I, as the lone attorney on duty, might screw something up. 

First phone call of the day was from a judge's chambers with a possible emergency, maybe-perhaps -- a heads up to me to be on stand-by for the rest of the day. 

Picked at my cuticles. (Nasty, nervous habit.)

Drank a lot of coffee, ill advisedly....

Fretted that the minuscule possibility that a multi-billion-dollar case might file in this district would materialize today, and I would be the only one there to handle it. (Thought I could do it, though, just didn't want to.)

Fielded phone calls from confused persons wondering whether we were still open-for-business. Explained that, despite my presence in the office, we were shuttered except for emergencies. 

Talked with members of the chambers of every judge in the district, and the Clerk of Court, to explain that our office is shut down like the rest of the Executive Branch. 

Obsessively checked the news to see if there had been any progress at Congress. 

There hadn't been. 

Had a veggie Subway sub. 

Bought a dozen cookies for the four of us forced into (possible) involuntary servitude because of the shut down. 

Ate a cookie. 

Okay, two cookies. 

But also two apples!

Thanked and commiserated with my fellow prisoners in the office. 

First-thing-in-the-morning-judge's chambers told me, "Nevermind."

Finally made it to the end of the day.

Drove home.

Listened to news on the radio. Still no progress. 

Listened to Slate podcast about day 1 of the shutdown. 

Played Fireman Sam with The Boy. 

Ate two slices of Pizza Hut Super Supreme Pizza and some broccoli while watching Super Why with my boys. 

Did bedtime routine with The Boy and put him to bed. 

Drank two generous glasses of wine so that I was good and loose.

(First time all day I did not feel as if I was vibrating.)

Facebook messaged back and forth with co-worker; realized I was semi-drunk because I was cheering boxed wine. 

Kissed husband good-night. Checked on son. Went to bed. 


Day Two, Tuesday, October 2, 2013

Infuriatingly awoke before 6 a.m., despite no need to. 

Went for a run.  Might as well....  (C25K, week 5, day 1 -- 2.20 miles.)

Showered. Dressed in jeans. 

Sat on the sofa with son watching Fireman Sam. Fed him yogurt. (Yes, I still feed him sometimes.  It's just easier.)

Coaxed him into clothes for school.

With fellow furloughed husband, took son to pre-school. 

Took car to car wash to get it detailed to remove fine powder of graham crackers from...oh, everywhere in the car. 

Had breakfast with husband at Einstein's. Discussed furlough, and what we should do if it drags on. 

Picked up car. 

Came home. 

Started laundry.

Organized master closet. 

Watched first series of lectures on Coursera of the course, What a Plant Knows, from Tel Aviv University. 

Took the quiz. 

Wished that there were more lectures posted to watch to since I've got the time. 

Briefly checked work email on Blackberry, so as not to exceed the maximum 15 minutes we are allowed to use our government issued electronic leashes, and forwarded messages as appropriate. 

Had lunch at Freebirds with husband. Discussed the shut down, but other interesting stuff too, like our Coursera courses. 

Got my new running shoes ready to be run in tomorrow (e.g., laced them how I like them laced).

Practiced the guitar. 

Folded laundry.

Watched a little CNN to see if there'd been any progress at Congress. 

There hadn't been. 

Practiced guitar. 

Went to guitar lesson.  Played pretty okay. 

Came home.  Listened to Slate podcast about day 2 of the shutdown on the way home. 

Played Fireman Sam and kitchen with The Boy. 

Ate delicious meal prepared by husband, while watching Super Why with my two boys

Did bedtime routine with The Boy and put him to bed. 

Changed into PJs. 

Did green clay mask. Then moisturized the heck out of my face. 

Sat down on sofa to write this blog post. 

And, now, am thinking about that box of wine in the kitchen. I'll just have the one glass tonight, I promise. 

Nighty-night!