Monday, January 7, 2019

The Shutdown Diary: Yuletide Edition, Day 17

Disclaimer: The thoughts and feelings expressed in this post are solely the author's and do not represent the official position of any government agency.
My family and I had long-standing vacation plans for last week. So we went. Disney World. It was good to be distracted by so much whimsy and joy.
But now we’re home.
Back to reality.
A reality in which the President has suggested the shutdown could go on for months or years.
A reality in which Congress seems now to be considering funding that would offer to the public the services they want -- national park funding, housing, food stamps, tax refunds -- while leaving the rest of us to sit on our hands and wait and wonder.
A reality that is really a slow, anxious burn, one in which I start to wonder when it will be that I start looking for a job in the private sector, and whether anyone would hire a 48-year-old, 20-year lawyer. Do we hang out our own shingle?  How would that work? In other words, when will the financial strain of no paychecks become too great for us?  We can absorb one missed or late paycheck. But two, three, four, five?  When does it become too much?  I don’t know. At some point, I suppose I need to figure that out.
In the meantime, I’m going to go for a walk now and blow off some steam. It’s oppressive, this shutdown.
Oh, and here’s a picture from our trip. It WAS amazingly fun.