Friday, February 15, 2013

My skin is loose.

My skin is looser than it used to be. It slides under my palm when I rest my cheek on my hand. My son pulls the skin on the back of my hand up to make a high point and then releases it to watch it slowly ooze back down to cover my bones.

This loose skin will soon lead to wrinkles and sagging. It already has begun to do so.

And I'm really okay with that. I mean, I'm okay with it partly because I am, by luck of the genetic draw, blessed with a relatively youthful appearance.

Still, I have learned that you have to approach make-up and skin care differently at middle age.

You've got these wrinkled that you'd like to minimize, which would have been make up's job in the past. But too much make up only accentuates the problem because it settles into the lines. Ditto that for some lipsticks on some mouths.

So what do you do? There's always expression-stealing Botox, but I would never do that. I'm not a cosmetic surgery/procedure kind of gal. I won't even sign up for the laser treatments that my dermatologist recommended for the slight discoloration at my hairline, a lasting reminder of how many hormones I had to shoot up to get The Boy. (A dab of concealer does just fine.)

So, I don't know what you do, but for me, I've gone minimalist: a good all purpose moisturizer twice a day, sunscreen in the summer, only-just-enough make up, and the realization that no matter what I do, my skin will get looser the longer I wear it. I hope I live so long as to crease the hell out of it.