Monday, January 22, 2018

Shutdown Diary, January 2018: Day 2, in which I do a LOT of laundry

Disclaimer:  The thoughts and feelings expressed in this post are solely the author's and do not represent the official position of any government agency.

For some reason, The Boy was really wound up last night after the lock in.  He didn't get to sleep until after 11:46 last night.  I am that precise because that is the last time I remember seeing on my iPhone.  I wonder if there was a lot of sugar at the lock in . . . .

Today, hubby and I woke up around 7:00 and had breakfast.  I walked the dog.  And my partner in life and I had coffee and toast with peanut butter for him and yogurt and granola for me as we watched the latest episode of This Old House.

By the way, in the last shutdown diary, we had a cat, Roxy.  Roxy died in 2016.  He was diabetic and had many skin and allergy problems.  Poor guy finally succumbed.  He was an old guy, though, and lived a full life.  But it was still sad when we lost him.

The dog is a new addition.  He's a puppy, actually, 11 weeks old.  He's a cavapoo and, so far, he seems really cute and smart.  He needs a lot of training, of course, but I think that once he's gone to puppy kindergarten (that is, Basic Obedience 1, 2, and 3, and then the Tricks class), he's be a really fun dog.  He's fun right now, of course, but a handful.  He is a lot more work than I thought, and the first few days of adjustment were difficult -- I won't lie -- but we've all started to settle in nicely.  His name is Schoeff, pronounced "Chef."  (I know, I know -- It's a weirdly spelled name that no one will get right when they look at it.  It was the name his breeder gave him and we liked it so we kept it.  It apparently means "lay assessor at court" or "juror" in German.  Fitting name for the dog of two lawyers, and their boy.)  Schoeff likes This Old House and gets upset if you pause it.



So, anyway, it's Sunday.  A day at home is a typical day, just like yesterday, except we check the news a bit more often.  And a typical day for me means laundry!  We tend to have between 4 and 6 loads of laundry a week.  How can three people generate so much laundry?  And how much laundry do other, larger families generate?  How do you do it?

And the status of the shutdown as of the publication of this blog entry?  No deal. We are still close. Next vote on a budget is scheduled for noon Eastern tomorrow.

Status is decidedly quo.  The newspapers say that they're going to try to get a deal by the end of tomorrow.  And though that sounds hopeful, I'm not holding my breath.

See you for Day 2.  Night-night.