Monday, June 30, 2014

Facebook Ennui

I'm having Facebook ennui.

No offense to all you FB friends of mine out there, but it's gotten less interesting lately. 

There are more ads for stuff you're selling. 

There are more links to articles you endorse or find interesting. 

There are more repostings from George Tekai or the Texas Democratic Party or Veterans for Truth. 

There's less of actual you:  your cute kids, your thoughts, and adventures.

I know. I'm guilty of it too. 

But what do we do about it?

I don't want to hide my friends. (Which I find weird:  if they're "friends," why would I hide them?) 

But I don't really want to be bombarded by political cartoons and memes and ads to buy your amazing anti-cellulite-youth-vitamin-breakfast-burrito-shake. 

You're probably tired of seeing me post about Dear Prudence or the bajillion quizzes that I do or McSweeny's or, or, or.... 

The answer doesn't seem to be get off of Facebook. I think it's here to stay. Like a public utility....

But manage it better, maybe?

I don't know. 

One thing I've done to enliven my feed is to "like" some different Facebook pages like Science Dump, The Skeptics Guide to the Universe, and io9.

But you're not io9. You're you. And I want more "you."  The real you.

Is it possible that I'm searching for a more authentic Facebook experience?

Oh, irony!  You have just as many letters as ennui .