Friday, May 17, 2013

Yeah, all that stuff I said about finding a middle ground? Never mind.

So, we're softies at heart, I guess. And we tried to ease into the toddler bed situation. 

But the fact is that The Boy had us up the better part of the wee hours of the morning all week because our slacking screwed up his sleep schedule.  We're talking 2 to 3 hours a night. 

All the good sleep training went to hell in a hand basket in less than a week.  But it's easily recoverable. And we know how.

So we're going through a Ferber moment even as I tap this out on my iPad. It's been about 20 minutes. I've been up to see him twice. He's having interludes of quiet just now, which means it'll be over soon, and tomorrow night will likely be smooth sailing. It typically only takes one (maybe two) nights to get him back on track after we've gotten off course.

I've probably got one more visit to hug and kiss and say, "I love you. You're the best boy ever."

***

Which I just did....  He did not spring from his bed and chase me as I left the room, as he did the other two times.  He listened as I told him he was "so safe," and we were close, and we all needed sleep to recharge our batteries so we can play tomorrow, and I love him soooo much.

And he's quiet, now. It took 30 minutes, all in. As The Working Dad just said, "That Ferber stuff is hard."

But it does work. And I know that I'll have a happy well-rested boy in the morning.

Sleep training is as much about the parents as it is about the child. And it looks like The Working Mom and Dad had to learn that lesson again, at the cost of The Boy's tears.

And that's the hardest part of it all. You're sort of left feeling like you could have prevented this if only you hadn't been a little bit of a jellyfish.

The sweet part of the other night was still there tonight, though:  he likes to be read to in bed.  And I'm glad.  Maybe tomorrow night "last book" will be followed by a sweet good-night rather than a tempest like tonight.

Night.  Night.