Thursday, March 7, 2013

So what if I wrote a novel?

Seriously.

What if I wrote a novel? What would it be about? You often hear the advice to "write what you know."

But if everyone wrote what they knew, we wouldn't have fantasy or horror fiction.

But I'm not sure I can sustain that level of whole-cloth creation. Nor am I sure that I've the patience to create a whole alternate universe and all of its rules. Plus, I like to read fantasy type stuff, but that doesn't mean I want to write it.

So....

Write what you know.
Write what you know.

Here's what I know:

What it's like to grow up in a small town....
What it's like to be a sorority girl at a small state college....
What it's like to go to law school....
What it's like to struggle with a legal career and then come to terms with it....
What it's like to be a single woman into middle age....
What it's like to marry your best friend....
What it's like to struggle with infertility....
What it's like to be a professional woman in "this man's world"....
What it's like to own and care for a diabetic cat....
What it's like to parent a toddler....
What it's like to struggle with your weight....
Some combination of some or all of the above...
Probably other stuff too that I've not thought about in this moment....

So there's got to be something there, right?

Then, where to find the time?