Saturday, August 11, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

The Working Dad and I enjoy a good blueberry muffin and a cup of coffee of a Saturday morning.  And I enjoy baking them.  The problem is that I feel sort of guilty carbing out in the morning . . . particularly this morning when I cannot exercise because I have to rest, having strained a ligament in my posterior doing a cartwheel this past Wednesday.  Yes, really.  Hopefully, I'll be back in my running shoes by Monday.

So I experimented this morning with stuff we had in the pantry and fridge in attempting to make a healthy-ish muffin, and it turned out pretty well!  Since it turned out so well, I decided to do a little self-congratulatory blog post and share my success.  So here we go!

The Working Mom's Whole Wheat Blueberry Carrot Muffins

Ingredients:
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c rolled oats
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

1 c carrot puree (I made my own in the blender from some carrots we had in the fridge and a little water.)
1/4 c 1% milk
1 egg

1 c frozen blueberries

2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 375 degrees convection (or 400 regular).  Mix dry ingredients together.  Mix wet ingredients together.  Stir the blueberries into the dry ingredients until they are just coated.  Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients+blueberries until incorporated.  (It took me about 15 strokes.)  Spoon into your muffin pan.  Mix 2 tbsp of granulated sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the muffins.  Bake for 15 minutes.  And you get this!


They're quite moist and not at all chewy, like recipes that lack oil can sometimes be.  Here's my pig, Charlemagne, enjoying one with coffee.


And they even garnered the approval of the biggest food critic in the house, The Boy.




If it passes the 17 month old toddler test, I'd say I've actually done something good this morning!

And . . . according to this website, here's the nutritional information on them (which may or may not be accurate).

Calories97.7
  Total Fat1.0 g
     Saturated Fat0.3 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.3 g
     Monounsaturated Fat0.4 g
  Cholesterol15.7 mg
  Sodium15.7 mg
  Potassium82.6 mg
  Total Carbohydrate22.8 g
     Dietary Fiber2.6 g
     Sugars10.2 g
  Protein2.6 g

Kind of on the high end with regard to calories and sugar.  (Carrots have a lot of sugar in them.)  But not bad on the fiber, huh?  You might be able to omit the egg and reduce the sugar to 1/4 c, which I might try next time, which would reduce the calories and sugar.

If you try them, I hope you enjoy them!