Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nate

I may have mentioned this before:  I love Nate Berkus.


His show will not be renewed for the 2012-2013 season.  This is an epic tragedy in my life.

Nate and I started our budding one-sided romance in February 2011, when I was put on bedrest for gestational hypertension.  Nate was always there for me twice a day:  at 11 a.m. in rerun and at 3 p.m. as a first-run show.  Nate is always warm, always cheerful, always polite, and often quite funny.  Nate definitely does not take Nate too seriously, and that's what's great about Nate.



Nate has taught me about many useful things:  Spanx, Not Your Daughter's Jeans, fashion on a budget, repurposing old stuff to make it seem cool and new, decorating on a budget, ruffles, pops of color.

Nate would love my new shoes:


His show is, fundamentally, a simple, standard daytime TV talk show aimed at the ladies:  a little cooking, a little decorating, a little fashion, a little home maintenance . . . occasionally, some health topic or a celebrity interview.



And, of course, the surprise home makeovers.  My favorite!


Did you know that Nate survived the tsunami in Sri Lanka in 2004?  (Tragically, his boyfriend was lost.)



But I think that what makes Nate's show so special is, it goes without saying, Nate.  Nate is self-effacing, savvy, stylish, and smart.  And for this, I love him so much that I record the show while I am at work so that I can watch it in my gobs of spare time at home.

He was Oprah's designer, you know, and she gave him is start in TV.  In fact, she (well, Harpo Productions) produced his show.


I love him in spite of his connection to this, honestly, very weird seeming rich lady.

I will miss you, Nate.  Others may not have appreciated you, but I always did.  You helped me get through a very frustrating four weeks.  I hope that our paths cross again via some other small-screened medium very soon.  But for now, adieu, my sweet daytime prince.