Thursday, December 22, 2011

Mom Jeans

I bought some Mom Jeans.  Not Mom Jeans like these:


I bought some Not Your Daughter's Jeans.



I'd heard of them many times before, but it took me a long time to actually buy some.  Well, a long time and the birth of my child . . . .

I know it sounds a bit scary, but hear me out.

I was intrigued by the higher back, lower front design that, nevertheless, looks stylish.  My sweet and adorable husband often points out that I get plumber's crack when I wear jeans.  The problem is that in order for jeans to fit my rather generous thighs, they end up being too big in the waist and the result is a little too much exposure in the posterior.

Still, I was hesitant to buy them.  I mean, Not Your Daughter's Jeans is just code for Mom Jeans, right?  I wasn't excited about wearing Mom Jeans, even though I am, you know, a mom.  I like to think of myself as a moderately fashionable, even youthful, forty-one year old.

But then my boyfriend, Nate Berkus, and his show-guest, Tyra Banks, talked about Not Your Daughter's Jeans.  And Tyra mentioned how they did a really good job covering her booty.  I think that she may have even mentioned, in not so many words, that these jeans have excellent crack coverage.  As a sufferer of chronic plumberscrackitis, I was sold.  I got online and I ordered two pair, a straight legged pair and a boot cut pair.

When I first put on a pair of Not Your Daughter's Jeans, I wasn't sure that I liked them.  They've got a lot of lycra, so they're pretty stretchy.  But they covered my behind, even in a squat . . . and the stretchiness meant no muffin-top (which has become a special blight, post-partum).  I got used to them pretty quickly.  It doesn't hurt that they are actually pretty stylish and super-comfortable.  So I like my Mom Jeans.  They may be "not your daughter's jeans," but they're also not your mother's.

P.S.  Check out my friend's recent blog post about her Mom Jeans experience!